Thursday, May 1, 2008

Thursday 13: ZZZZZZ...... ZZZZZZZZZZ





















Over the past couple of weeks my husband and I have been trying to ween The Baby off of falling asleep on his nightly bottle and in our arms. We feel that it's really important that he learn to fall asleep on his own and in his crib. It's been a slow, but steady process. We still want rocking or cuddling to be a part of his bedtime routine, just not what makes him sleep. We're at the point now were we give him a little bottle and rock him until he is content and sleepy (usually just a few minutes), then we put him in his crib. He cried a few times for short periods, fussed a little for a day or two, and has been drifting off on his own for about a week.

It's no wonder some babies and toddlers cry so much at the prospect of going to sleep. It can be a tough job -- even when you have a whole bunch of tricks up your sleeve.

13 things that help me fall asleep
1. Advil PM
2. Naming all the Native American tribes that I can think of
3. Naming all the bird/plants/snakes/fish that I can think of
4. “Flipping” our house mentally. I will think of walls to knock out, rooms to create and other ways to improve our house — in pretty intense detail.
5. Read a book. Currently I am reading Maeve Binchy’s “Evening Class.” So far, so good.
6. Read a magazine. We subscribe to Fast Company and Readers’ Digest (boo to RD for taking the art off of the back cover and selling it, btw!)
7. Watch TV. Either Sex in the City re-runs on TBS or Adult Swim on Cartoon Network — I know, way different ends of the spectrum.
8. Eat. Whoa, I don’t recommend this one to anyone.
9. Stumble on the Internet.
10. Assemble outfit combinations in my head. I never remember them in the morning, which is why it seems like I wear the same five outfits over and over and over.
11. Think of things to feed The Baby. Besides Cheerios and Puffs.
12. Think of different menus for me and my husband. Sometimes it seems like we have chicken every.single.night. Blah.
13. Tylenol PM (I’m not brand specific, it depends on what is on sale!)

Join the fun, click here!


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Maeve Binchy is one of my fav authors. Glad you got the baby sleeping well. It's good for everyone.
Happy T13!

Lori said...

Yikes...I get tired just looking at you list;) Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Tylenol and Advil pms I use too. I'm an insomniac.

Juliana RW said...

how can you fall asleep when you are eat :D

Will you visit mine Thanks

Vanessa said...

I like Maeve Binchy also. I tend to read The Glass Lake a lot (Minly because it is a paperback, and easier to read in the tub.) Another good author I like is Diana Gabaldon (I think that is spelled right) She has a series of books called the Outlander Series. SOrt of Historical Fiction meets Sci-Fi, in a round about way.

Don Mills Diva said...

I have "Evening Class" at home - I'm about to start it...

Melanie said...

I go through the alphabet and think of things I am thankful for for each letter of the alphabet. I don't think I've ever gotten very far.

Our Happy Happenings