Monday, November 5, 2007

Look, no hands!! Hands-free pumping

I never thought that lunch would get here! It's not that my morning was all that busy, but I had to leave to go to a chiropractor appointment at 11:40. I feel so much better now. Since I was about four months pregnant my back has really been bothering me. I assumed that it would get better once I had The Baby. It's gotten worse. I'm starting to think that it may be my mattress. I hope not... that's one thing I don't want to have to purchase right now.

This weekend was pretty uneventful, but it was nice because of that. I've learned to really appreciate it when we have nothing to do. Friday night we went to a new WEGMEN'S (yeah, we have a Wegman's in the area now!) for Sushi and overnight diapers. You know you're a parent when you've learned how and where to get sushi and diapers at the same time. My sushi happened to come wrapped in thinly sliced avocado, which The Baby happens to love. I peeled some off and mashed it up with the end of a chopstick. He gobbled the avocado off the end of the chopstick... so cute! The next day we went to a sports bar (with a no smoking section -- yep, you can still smoke in PA bars/restaurants) and watched the Ohio State game. The Baby likes to get out. Really, he does. He gets whiny at home. I think that we might bore him!


From the Pump Room:
The confession: My husband and I were both asleep by 10 p.m. on Saturday night and by midnight on Friday. :( We used to go out ALL the time. Dinner, movies, out with friends, parties.... Not that I want to do those things instead of having family time, but I do wish I could do those things in addition to spending time with The Baby. When you only get two full days as a family, giving up a part of that is tough! We are fortunate to have my parents just 20 minutes away. They love to baby sit. Thank God. We really should take them up on it.

Pumping hands-free tip: If you're at work already you may have already figured out a way to pump with no hands... if not, read on! For me it's easy. I simply put the pump horn on my breast and fit the bottom rim into my nursing bra and then close the bra as normal. It keeps them in place but not too tight. I do have a bra that is cut too high to do that with. I keep two rubber bands in my breast pump bag. I thread a rubber band through the nursing bra clip. Pull one side of the band through the other and tug so that it creates a loop that you can then attach to the latch of the bra. This simply extends the reach of your nursing bra clasp if it won't close around your pump horn. It's very similar to The Rubber Band Trick to extend the waist of your pants while pregnant. For more helpful tips, search on Kellymom.com, there’s a link to the side.

No comments: